Monday, March 31, 2008

Miss You

The familiar song almost made me jump, the blurred lyrics coming from my phone which was sitting on the blue sheets next to me. I didn’t hesitate to answer, I never did when it was that song that meant she was calling. Her voice sounded sure, strong even, at first. But when I asked if everything was all right, and that same voice cracked, I could almost see the tears that fell so easily for her.
Of course you can come over
I’ll see you soon, drive safe
I had to work hard to keep my own voice strong. For her. The only person that really matters. I had to keep my own tears from falling; so close they were to the surface at that point. Had to keep the worry, the pain, from reaching her ears. I couldn’t let her know that she made my heart race, my breath come short. Couldn’t let her find out that my entire body was shaking with the sound of her weeping. Because if she knew what she did to me, she may not find comfort in my arms. She might not come to me in the middle of the night when all other doors are locked. She might not call.

No comments: